Engine power loss can have many reasons, but 90% of the time issues are caused by common reasons. Here are some of the main reasons that might have caused you lack of engine power:
Reasons related to the operation and condition of the ignition system
- inappropriate operation of the engine control system
- moisture on contacts of spark plug wires and system elements
It is necessary to adjust the operation of the engine control system and eliminate its malfunctions, replace the defective elements and install appropriate spark plugs. Moisture needs to be removed, and the contacts of the ignition system elements need to be cleaned.
Reasons related to the operation and condition of the fuel system, intake and discharge manifolds
Sometime the issue is caused by your fuel system condition. This is usually true for cars that have been driven for a long time with no cleaning. You have to clean you fuel system, just like you have to clean your car. Here are some options:
VERYLUBE Petroltank (Gasoline) – complex fuel system cleaner *
Atomex MultiCleaner – highly effective fuel system cleaner *
VERYLUBE Injector and carburetor cleaner – injector cleaner for gasoline engine
Replacement of the fuel filter
Contamination of the air filter or decrease of the air inlet capacity (significant carbon and tar deposits on the manifold elements, throttle sticking)
Replacement of the air filter
Cleaning of the intake manifold elements:
- Atomеx F8 ComplexFormula (Gasoline) Product for protection of the engine from results of using low-quality fuel *
- Atomеx EnergyDrive – Engine power amplifier*
- VERYLUBE Cetane + (Diesel) – Additive for improving the quality of diesel fuel
- Verylube Diesel-Lux Summer or Verylube Diesel-Lux Winter – complex fuel improver and cleaner
- XADO Antigel+ – complex highly effective product for enhancement of low-temperature properties of diesel fuel
- Verylube Antigel – superconcentrated diesel fuel treatment for enhancement of low-temperature properties of diesel fuel
- Aquastop – water remover from gasoline
- Verylube Fuel system cleaner (Diesel)
- Atomеx F8 ComplexFormula (Gasoline) – Product for protection of the engine from results of using low-quality fuel *
- Catalyst converter/particle filter is plugged
Cleaning of catalyst converter/particle filter in a way recommended by the manufacturer of replacement of catalyst converter/particle filter
Reasons related to condition of parts of the cylinder-piston group and valve train
decreased compression due to the wear of piston rings
- if the wear of piston rings is not critical, the engine should be treated with XADO Revitalizant® for gasoline engine, Revitalizant® EX120 for gasoline engine, 1 Stage Revitalizant® or AMC Maximum, according to the application instructions.
- if the wear of piston rings is critical and the cylinder geometry (diameter, ovality) does not exceed the limiting wear, it is necessary to replace the piston rings. In order to provide better adjustment of new piston rings, it is advisable to apply XADO Revitalizant® for cylinders onto the operating surface of the cylinder (area of contact with piston rings) during the engine assembly, afterwards provide 15–20 strokes of the piston. Further engine assembly is carried out as usually.
- decreased compression due to sticking of piston rings, significant carbon deposits on the surfaces of pistons and combustion chamber
In order to decarbonize stuck piston rings, use Verylube Anticarbon, which is a quick-action compound for decarbonizing stuck piston rings of gasoline and diesel engines. Verylube Anticarbon is introduced directly into the engine cylinder. Before changing the engine oil, you can also apply Atomex TotalFlush – oil system cleaner with piston rings anticarbon effect.
- Unsatisfactory condition of valves (wear of valve stems and valve guides, valve leakage in the seats, burning-out etc.) wear or damage to parts of the valve train drive.
Replacement of defective parts, adjustment of the valve train